Official Product Guide: https://lenovopress.com/tips1251-system-x3950-x6-6241
GearBroker Note: This item is New, unused System X with full Lenovo Support. We opened the box to confirm that the sever you would receive is mint, complete with all manufacturer included accessories and ready for setup. This item includes a 3 year manufacturer warranty that will be set to reflect your date of purchase when registered with our invoice. We are an Authorized Lenovo Dealer; Buy with Confidence.
The increasing demand for cloud-computing and analytics workloads by enterprises to meet social, mobile, and Big Data requirements drives innovation to find new ways to build informational systems. Clients are looking for cost-optimized fit-for-purpose IT solutions that manage large amounts of data, easily scale performance, and provide enterprise class reliability.
Built on decades of innovation, Lenovo introduces its sixth generation of Enterprise X-Architecture technology, X6 servers. Lenovo X6 servers are fast, agile, and resilient:
- Fast application performance means immediate access to actionable information.
- Agile system design helps to reduce acquisition costs and provide the ability to upgrade processor and memory technology at each refresh within the same chassis.
- Resilient platforms maximize application uptime and promote easy integration in virtual environments.
X6 servers continue to lead the way as the shift toward mission-critical scalable databases, business analytics, virtualization, enterprise applications, and cloud-computing applications accelerates.
Fast application performance
The server offers numerous features to boost performance:
- Based on the Intel Xeon E7 family of processors:
- Models based on E7-8800 v4 processors
- Supports up to eight E7 v4 processors with a total of 192 cores and 384 threads to maximize the concurrent running of multi-threaded applications.
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with processors up to 24 cores, core frequencies up to 3.2 GHz core speeds, L3 cache of up to 60 MB, and three QPI interconnect links at up to 9.6 GTps.
- Supports DDR4 memory at speeds up to 1866 MHz, or DDR3 memory at speeds up to 1600 MHz
- Supports up to 192 DIMM sockets, with 24 DIMMs per processor.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows processor cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor thermal design power (TDP).
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multi-threaded applications by enabling simultaneous multi-threading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better use the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) improves floating-point performance for compute-intensive technical and scientific applications.
- Supports a 12 Gbps SAS RAID portfolio.
- The usage of solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of, or along with, traditional spinning drives (HDDs) can improve I/O performance. An SSD can support up to 100 times more I/O operations per second (IOPS) than a typical HDD.
- Optional support for high-performance PCIe-attached NVMe Flash Storage solid-state drives (SSDs) can significantly improve I/O performance.
- PCI Express 3.0 I/O adapter slots that improve the theoretical maximum bandwidth by almost 100% (8 GTps per link using 128b/130b encoding) compared to the previous generation of PCI Express 2.0 (5 GTps per link using 8b/10b encoding).
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor. This integration helps reduce I/O latency and increase overall system performance.
- Support for up to four graphics processing units (GPUs) and co-processors to maximize computing power.
- Energy-efficient electronic components help lower operational costs, including highly efficient 900 W AC and 1400 W AC power supplies with 80 PLUS Platinum certification.
- Energy Star 2.0 compliant
Agile system design
The server provides many scalability and flexibility features:
- Innovative module “book” design for each of the three subsystems: Compute Books, Storage Book, and I/O Books. Front and rear access means that you can easily scale the system by adding components without removing the entire server from the rack.
- The modular book design also allows clients to create the configuration that fits their application and environment needs, which reduces acquisition costs while giving them the flexibility to grow and modify their configuration later.
- The book design also means that subsystem upgrades are simpler, quicker to perform, and have a lower impact on the rest of the server.
- Using 128 GB 3DS RDIMMs, the server supports up to 24 TB of memory.
- Up to 32x 1.8-inch SSD bays, or up to 16x 2.5-inch bays, provide a flexible and scalable all-in-one platform to meet your increasing demands.
- Offers up to 22 PCIe slots plus two dedicated Mezzanine LOM (ML2) adapter slots. Most slots are PCIe 3.0 to maximize I/O scalability.
- PCIe slots are implemented in I/O Books to maximize modularity. Choose from Half-length I/O Books or Full-length I/O Books, depending on the adapters that you need to deploy.
- Most components are common between the four-socket x3850 X6 and eight-socket x3950 X6, making for a simple upgrade path with minimal parts on the floor.
The server provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- Upward Integration Modules for standard hypervisors enable the creation and management of policies to maintain high availability of virtual machines and concurrent updating of the system firmware, with no impact on application performance or availability.
- Advanced Processor Recovery allows the system to automatically switch access and control of networking, management, and storage in the event of a processor 1 failure, providing higher availability and productivity.
- Advanced Page Retire proactively protects applications from corrupted pages in memory, which is crucial for scaling memory to terabytes.
- Redundant bit steering, memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing for redundancy in the event of a non-correctable memory failure.
- Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality can help prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks when combined with a supported operating system.
- Intel Trusted Execution Technology provides enhanced security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks, allowing an application to run in its own isolated space, which is protected from all other software running on a system.
- Redundant Intel Platform Controller Hub (PCH) connections to the processors allow the platform to maintain access to networking, storage, and server management during a processor failure.
- Hot-swap drives support RAID redundancy for data protection and greater system uptime.
- Hot-swap I/O Books enabling you to install or replace adapters while the server is still running.
- Tool-less lid-less design provides front and rear access for easy upgrades and serviceability. There is no need to pull the server out of the rack to access internal components.
- Hot-swap power supplies and hot-swap dual-motor redundant fans provide availability for mission-critical applications.
- An LCD diagnostics panel that is combined with individual light path diagnostic LEDs quickly lead the technician to failed (or failing) components, which simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability.
- Proactive Platform Alerts (including PFA and SMART alerts): Processors, voltage regulators, memory, internal storage (SAS/SATA HDDs and SSDs, NVMe SSDs, flash storage adapters), fans, power supplies, RAID controllers, and server ambient and sub-component temperatures. Alerts can be surfaced through the system IMM to managers such as Lenovo XClarity Administrator, VMware vCenter, and Microsoft System Center. These proactive alerts let you take appropriate actions in advance of possible failure, thereby increasing server uptime and application availability.
- Built-in Integrated Management Module Version II (IMM2) continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovering actions in case of failures to minimize downtime.
- Includes two special Mezzanine LOM (ML2) adapter slots with support for adapters with either two 10 Gb ports or four 1 Gb ports. Supports direct connectivity to the IMM2 service processor for out-of-band systems management.
- Integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enables improved setup, configuration, and updates, and simplifies error handling.
- Integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) supporting TPM 2.0 and TPM 1.2 enables advanced cryptographic functionality, such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- Industry-standard Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) NI support for faster and stronger encryption.
- Lenovo XClarity Administrator provides proactive systems management. It offers comprehensive systems management tools that help increase uptime, reduce costs, and improve productivity through advanced server management capabilities.
- Solid-state drives (SSDs) offer better reliability than traditional mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- Built-in diagnostic tests, using Dynamic Systems Analysis (DSA) Preboot, speed up troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time.
- Three-year customer-replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty, 9×5 next business day. Optional service upgrades are available.
The following table lists the standard specifications.
|Form factor||8U rack|
|Processor||Four, six or eight Intel Xeon E7-8800 v4 processors, each in a Compute Book. Processor options have between 4 and 24 cores with core frequencies up to 3.2 GHz. Three QPI links up to 9.6 GT/s each. Compute Books have TruDDR4 memory up to 1866 MHz, but cannot be mixed. Up to 60 MB L3 cache. Intel C602J chipset.|
|Memory||Up to 192 DIMM sockets (24 DIMMs per processor, installed in the Compute Book). RDIMMs and LRDIMMs (Load Reduced DIMMs) are supported, but memory types cannot be intermixed. Memory is either TruDDR4 memory (up to 1866 MHz) or DDR3 memory (up to 1600 MHz), depending on the Compute Book selected. DDR3 memory and TruDDR4 memory cannot be mixed in the same Compute Book. Compute Books with DDR3 memory and Compute Books with TruDDR4 memory cannot be mixed in the same system.|
|Memory maximums||With RDIMMs: Up to 6 TB with 192x 32 GB RDIMMs and eight processors
With LRDIMMs: Up to 12 TB with 192x 64 GB LRDIMMs and eight processors
With 3DS RDIMMs: Up to 24 TB with 192x 128 GB LRDIMMs and eight processors
|Memory protection||ECC, Chipkill, RBS, memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing.|
|Disk drive bays||Up to 32x 1.8″ SSD bays, or up to 16x 2.5″ hot-swap SAS/SATA bays, or up to 8x 2.5” hot-swap PCIe NVMe SSD drive bays.|
|Maximum internal storage||Up to 122.9 TB with 16x 7.68 TB 2.5-inch SAS SSDs, or
Up to 32 TB with 16x 2 TB 2.5-inch SAS HDDs, or
Up to 32 TB with 8x 4 TB 2.5-inch PCIe NVMe SSDs
|RAID support||12 Gb SAS/SATA RAID 0, 1, or 10 with ServeRAID M5210; optional upgrades to RAID 5 or 50 are available (zero-cache; 1 GB non-backed cache; 1 GB or 2 GB flash-backed cache). Upgrades to RAID 6 or 60 available for M5210 with 1 GB or 2 GB upgrades.|
|Optical and tape bays||No internal bays. See http://support.lenovo.com/en/documents/pd011281 for external DVD options.|
|Network interfaces||Mezzanine LOM (ML2) slots for dual-port 10 GbE cards with SFP+ or RJ-45 connectors or quad-port GbE cards with RJ-45 connectors. See Table 2. Dedicated 1 GbE port for systems management.|
|PCI Expansion slots||Up to 22 PCIe slots plus two dedicated Mezzanine LOM slots. The slots are as follows:
Optional I/O Books can be either of the following options:
|Ports||Front: Four USB 3.0, two USB 2.0, and one VGA video ports. Rear: Eight USB 2.0, two VGA video, two DB-9 serial, and two1 GbE RJ-45 IMM2 systems management. Internal: two USB 2.0 port for embedded hypervisor. The second video, IMM2, and internal USB hypervisor ports are used only when the server is partitioned into two four-socket servers.|
|Cooling||Calibrated Vectored Cooling™. Up to 20 redundant hot-swap fan packs and 10 fan zones with N+1 fan redundancy. Each fan pack includes two counter-rotated dual-motor fans.|
|Power supply||Up to eight redundant hot-swap 900 W AC or 1400 W AC power supplies (all 80 PLUS Platinum certified). -48 V 750 W DC power supplies are available through CTO.|
|Hot-swap parts||Drives, power supplies, fans, and optional I/O Books.|
|Video||Matrox G200eR2 with 16 MB memory that is integrated into the IMM2. Maximum resolution is 1600 x 1200 at 75 Hz with 16 M colors.|
|Security features||Power-on password, admin password, and two Trusted Platform Modules supporting TPM 2.0 and TPM 1.2.|
|Systems management||UEFI, Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) with remote presence feature, Predictive Failure Analysis, Light Path Diagnostics, Automatic Server Restart, Lenovo XClarity Administrator, Lenovo XClarity Integrators, and ServerGuide.|
|Operating systems supported||Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, VMware ESXi. See the Operating system support section for specifics.|
|Limited warranty||Three-year customer-replaceable unit (CRU) and onsite limited warranty with 9×5 next business day (NBD).|
|Service and support||Optional service upgrades are available through Lenovo Services offerings: 4-hour or 2-hour response time, 8-hour fix time, 1-year or 2-year warranty extension, and remote technical support for Lenovo hardware and some Lenovo / OEM applications.|
|Dimensions||Height: 351 mm (13.7 in.), width: 482 mm (19.0 in.), depth: 804 mm (31.6 in), depth with cable management brackets installed: 836 mm (32.9 in), depth with Full-length I/O Book installed: 921 mm (36.2 in)|
|Weight||Minimum configuration: 84.5 kg (186.3 lb), maximum: 110.0 kg (242.6 lb)|